‘we’ or ‘us’ or ‘our’ refer to Advance Planning Limited; and ‘you’ or ‘your’ or ‘applicant’ means the person applying for the Plan.
About this Key Features Summary
This document is intended to provide you with a summary of the key features and benefits of the Age Co Funeral Plan to allow you to assess whether it meets your requirements. Please refer to the Plan literature and Terms & Conditions that accompany this document for full details on the Plan.
What is the Age Co Funeral Plan?
Our Plan offers a choice of four prepaid funeral plans, which let you pay for certain funeral costs in advance and include the main services for a funeral.
Who provides the Age Co Funeral Plan?
The Age Co Funeral Plan is provided by Advance Planning Limited, which is owned by Dignity.
Dignity is one of the UK’s leading provider of Funeral Plans. Dignity launched the UK’s first nationally available Funeral Plan in 1985 and has helped over 824,000 people plan for their funeral in advance. Age Co has worked with Dignity since 1988. Dignity is one of the UK’s largest operators of funeral directors and crematoria and is a British company listed on the London Stock Exchange.
Who is the Age Co Funeral Plan for?
You can have an Age Co Funeral Plan if the person who the funeral is for is aged 50 or over and the funeral is to take place in mainland Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Isle of Wight or Isle of Man (Basic Plan not available on the Isle of Man).
What will the Age Co Funeral Plan provide?
The Age Co Funeral Plan will provide the guaranteed services included in the Plan through a Nominated Funeral Director when the time comes. Provided that the Plan is paid for in full there will be nothing further to pay for the guaranteed services included in the Plan.
All Plans guarantee to cover the following services:
Funeral Director Services:
- Advice and guidance on all aspects of the funeral including the registration of the death and collation of all necessary paperwork for the funeral to proceed
- Transport of the deceased to the Nominated Funeral Directors Premises within 50 miles
- Preparation and care of the body
- The coffin provided within the selected Plan
- Funeral Director and staff to attend service
- Provision of a Hearse
- 24 hour telephone bereavement counselling.
Third Party Cremation Costs:
- The crematorium fee
- Fee for a Minister or an Officiant equal to the amount paid for a standard funeral service at the crematorium or cemetery as listed in the Church of England Table of Parochial Fees
Dependent on the Plan chosen, the following are also guaranteed:
- Family viewing by appointment or at any time
- Limousines to transport the mourners
- Transport to place of worship prior to cremation or burial
- ‘Thank You’ cards.
- If burial is chosen, the Plan will include a contribution of £1,220 towards third party burial costs in place of the guaranteed Third Party Cremation Costs listed above. We will increase the value of the £1,220 contribution each year in line with the Retail Prices Index (RPI) inflation to help it keep pace with rising costs.
What won’t the Age Co Funeral Plan provide?
The Plans do not include:
- The cost of special requests such as memorials, flowers, catering, newspaper obituaries etc.
- Transport of more than 50 miles from the Nominated Funeral Director. Any charge for any additional miles will be payable to the Nominated Funeral Director at the time
- The cost of removal of mechanisms such as pacemakers (which must be removed before a cremation)
- Costs for conducting the funeral, burial or cremation on a weekend, at an unusual hour or public holiday
- Any additional charges passed to us due to changes in regulations, tax, laws or generally accepted practice
- The cost of repatriation outside mainland Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Isle of Wight or Isle of Man (Basic Plan not available on the Isle of Man)
Any Doctor’s fees and Coroner’s fees.
Other Plan limitations include:
- If the Plan is paid for by instalments and the funeral is required before the final payment has been paid, your Funeral Organiser would have to pay the outstanding balance at the time of the funeral
- Any taxes. Value Added Tax is not currently charged on a funeral service. However, if this or any other tax becomes chargeable on a funeral service or part of it your Personal Representative must pay the tax at the time of the funeral.
Basic Plan limitations:
- There is a restricted choice from approximately 800 Funeral Directors.
- A restricted choice of date and time for the funeral will be available. Typically this means that with the Basic Funeral Plan the service will take place before 10.30am or after 3.30pm Tuesday - Thursday.
- You may not make any financial contribution payments towards the costs of any Special Requests
- Not available on the Isle of Man.
What are the prices of the Plans?
Age Co Funeral Plans are designed to meet our customers’ different requirements and budgets. For example you can make a single payment or spread the cost of your plan over 12 monthly instalments.
The prices for these options are:
12 Monthly Instalments
There is no extra charge
|£2,870||£239.16 per month|
|£3,270||£272.50 per month|
|£3,625||£302.08 per month|
|£3,870||£322.50 per month|
Prices valid as at 01/05/2019. Prices are subject to review. If at the point of application the plan price has changed for any reason, we will advise you of this before we set up your plan and there will be no obligation for you to continue. Longer instalment terms up to 25 years are available should you wish to spread the cost of the plan. Please note that plans purchased over a period greater than 12 months will incur an additional fee.
Age Co have arranged with Dignity to have the normal age cap removed, meaning there is no upper age restrictions when paying by instalments. If you decide to pay using instalments, it's important that you choose the right instalment option that meets your individual needs and circumstances. For example, we would suggest that the instalment plan you choose completes before you reach 85 years of age, but whatever you choose, you should be clear about what happens if you don't complete your instalments before you die.
How can I pay?
Payment methods include Credit or Debit Card, Cheque and Direct Debit. You can pay for your plan at your nearest Age UK office, online, over the telephone by speaking with one of our advisors or, by enclosing payment with your paper application form. Not all Age UK offices offer Age Co products, please telephone before visiting.
How is the money I pay protected?
The money that you pay for your Plan is paid directly into the Trust for Age UK Funeral Plans. The Trust is completely separate and legally independent from Age Co, Advance Planning Limited and Dignity.
- The Trust is run by Managing Trustees, the majority of whom are independent of Age Co Funeral Plans and Dignity
- PricewaterhouseCoopers conduct an annual actuarial valuation of the Trust Fund, which determines if there is enough money in the Trust Fund for Age UK Funeral Plans to meet its liabilities and promises to Planholders
- Ernst & Young are the appointed auditors and conduct annual audits of the Trust’s accounts
- The Trust adheres to the rules of the Funeral Planning Authority, who receive copies of the Trust’s accounts and valuations and other information it requests.
What happens to the money in the Trust Fund?
All the money you pay for the Plan goes straight into the Trust Fund’s bank account. From the money held in the Trust:
- Advance Planning Limited is paid an allowance for the marketing, administration and lifetime customer Management of the Plan
- There are annual costs for Trust management services, audits, valuations and other scheme expenses
- An amount from each Plan is retained in the Trust to help the Trust maintain a surplus so it can better withstand unexpected rises in funeral costs or better cope with poor investment returns
- The remaining balance is available to pay the Nominated Funeral Director, after the funeral has taken place, who agrees to provide all the guaranteed services for this sum.
We publish a Report on the Trust for Age UK Funeral Plans annually and it is available upon request.
What happens if there is not enough in the Trust to pay for the funeral?
In the unlikely event that the Trust does not have enough money to cover the future cost of funeral services promised to Planholders, Advance Planning Limited, through Dignity, would still honour the guarantees made to Planholders. Dignity owns a nationwide network of funeral directors and crematoriums and even in extreme circumstances should still be able to meet the promises made to Planholders.
What happens if Advance Planning Limited or Dignity goes out of business?
The money for your funeral would still be protected as it is legally separate from Advance Planning Limited and Dignity. In the unlikely event that Dignity was to go out of business it may however mean that Age Co Funeral Plans would be unable to provide the funeral we had promised to provide. If this happened the Managing Trustees of the Trust would work with the remaining Nominated Funeral Directors, and where necessary seek to appoint new Nominated Funeral Directors, to continue to provide services to Planholders.
Advance Planning Limited is a registered provider with the Funeral Planning Authority and in this scenario other Registered Providers would co-operate in the delivery of the Authority’s "Pledge to Customers" by which the other Registered Providers will examine the ways in which they might assist in delivering the funerals of customers of the insolvent Registered Provider.
What will I be sent after I apply for a Plan?
Once your Application form has been received, your Plan will be set up within 14 days and you will be sent your Planholder’s Pack. This will contain confirmation of the Plan you have purchased, the amount you have paid, what is covered, details of the Funeral Director and how to claim. It will also contain a Pack to be given to your Funeral Organiser.
What happens if I move home?
You must inform us so we can update our records. If you have moved to a new area we may need to allocate a new Nominated Funeral Director. There is no charge for this, as your Plan is portable, and all the Plan guarantees will still be honoured.
Can I choose my Funeral Director?
We will allocate a funeral director to your Plan, which we refer to as the Nominated Funeral Director. For the Ivy, Holly & Rowan Plans there are over 1,300 Nominated Funeral Directors and for the Basic Plan there are approximately 800 Nominated Funeral Directors across the UK. You may choose a funeral director from the relevant list. However, you cannot choose a funeral director that is not part of the list. If you would like your Plan allocated to a specific Funeral Director please contact us before you purchase. We may allocate your Plan to a different Nominated Funeral Director if required.
What happens if the Nominated Funeral Director goes out of business?
If this happens, Advance Planning Limited would allocate your Plan to a new Nominated Funeral Director. All guarantees made in your Plan would still stand and you would not be charged any additional fees.
How to claim
When the person whom the Plan is for passes away the Funeral Organiser should telephone Age Co Funeral Plans direct at any time 24 hours a day on 0800 028 3135. Alternately you can call or visit the Nominated Funeral Director, whose contact details will be confirmed in the Planholder’s Pack.
What happens if my family or representative doesn’t use the Plan?
If the plan is not found until after the planholder’s funeral is arranged, or if your funeral organiser or executor chooses not to use the plan, they can cancel the plan and receive a full refund of the
original amount paid for the plan.
You can cancel your plan at any time and receive a full refund of any payments made. Refunds will be sent to you within 14 days of the request being received.
If you wish to cancel your Plan tell us either by completing and returning the form included in your Planholder’s Pack we send you or otherwise tell us by:
- Post: Age Co Funeral Plans
4 King Edwards Court, King Edwards Square Sutton Coldfield West Midlands B73 6AP
- Telephone: 0800 028 3135
- Email: email@example.com
How to make a complaint
If you wish to complain, please contact our Client Liaison Officer who will acknowledge your complaint within 2 working days and will do their utmost to ensure any complaint is dealt with as quickly as possible.
Contact details are as follows:
Client Liaison Officer,
Age co Funeral Plans,
4 King Edwards Court, King Edwards Square, Sutton
Coldfield, West Midlands B73 6AP
Telephone: 0800 731 0655
Advance Planning Limited is a Registered Provider with the Funeral Planning Authority, the professional body that oversees the operation of registered Funeral Plan companies. If you are dissatisfied with the response from us you can make a complaint to them.
Their details are:
- Telephone: 0845 601 9619 (Calls to this number cost 5p a minute, plus your phone company’s access charge)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.funeralplanningauthority.com
The Age Co Funeral Plan is not a regulated financial services product and as such is not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority or covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
You also have access to an Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) platform which is provided by the European Commission. It allows consumers to submit complaints through the site and the complaint will then be allocated to an approved and appropriate Alternative Dispute Resolution Provider (ADR). For more information on this service please visit http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr
The Funeral Planning Authority when handling complaints uses one of the approved Alternative Dispute Resolution providers and you can gain direct access to them by using the FPA contact details provided above.
English law applies to this agreement. This Key Features Summary applies to Age Co Funeral Plans purchased from 1 April 2018.
Need to contact us?
If after reading this document you have any questions here are our contact details;
Post: Age Co Funeral Plans
4 King Edwards Court, King Edwards Square, Sutton
Coldfield, West Midlands B73 6AP
Telephone: 0800 028 3135
Please see the Terms & Conditions for further details.