There are lots of options when it comes to putting your affairs in order and funeral planning is no different. There are questions you should ask so you know that you are in safe hands, and can trust that the service provided will meet your expectations, as well as those of your loved ones.
Buy an Age UK Funeral Plan before 31 March 2017 and you can save £100^
Am I eligible?
With the Age UK Funeral Plan provided by Dignity, you are guaranteed to be accepted if you are aged 50 or over, with no health or medical questions asked. Prices start from just £2,945.
Unlike other providers, there is also no upper age limit attached to any of the payment options. It’s a good idea to check your eligibility with other plan providers. You may not be eligible for all payment options.
What’s covered by a funeral plan?
There are many elements to a funeral and it can be hard to predict what costs there are likely to be, especially if you’ve never planned one before. Costs could include Funeral Director’s fees, cremation or burial fees, Minister’s fees, a hearse, transport for your family and a coffin.
Different funeral plan providers cover different costs and some providers do not offer as much as an Age UK Funeral Plan.
- Picking the wrong plan could mean that there is more for your loved ones to pay in the future.
- It’s a good idea to find out exactly what is covered and make sure you have it in writing before you purchase to avoid any hidden surprises.
- You should also find out whether you can change your plan without losing any of the money you’ve already paid.
- Is there a cancellation fee, and what are the terms for cancelling? Also ask whether you’ll need to keep up payments for life, or is it fixed-term?
All of the costs and associated benefits of an Age UK Funeral Plan are explained clearly up-front. You will find all the key information in one place – Key Features Summary.
What happens if something changes?
We hope that you won’t need to make use of your funeral plan for many years to come. This means that a lot can change in between taking out a plan and it being used. When buying any funeral plan you should make sure you’re aware of any fixed conditions or additional costs in in the plan if you want to make a change.
The Age UK Funeral Plan is one of the most flexible plans on the market.
- If you’re paying by instalments, you can pay off the Plan early without a penalty charge.
- If you decide to move home, your price guarantee will remain the same and your plan won’t change – where necessary we can even look at appointing a new Nominated Funeral Director closer to your new home. There is also no charge for updating your details.
- If you change your mind you can easily cancel your plan. If this happens within the first 28 days you will receive your money back in full. Outside the initial ‘cooling off’ period you will still receive your money back for only a small administration fee of £95. This is the lowest on the market.
Make a sound financial choice
Average funeral costs in the UK have more than doubled since 2004, according to the 2016 SunLife Cost of Dying Report. With these costs likely to continue to increase year on year, you don’t want to be caught out. So it’s important to find out exactly what you are paying for.
An Age UK Funeral Plan is not the same as savings investments or a life insurance plan. It is a prepaid funeral plan. You are paying for your funeral services and arrangements in advance. This means that your plan remains unaffected by inflation and interest rates and you can ‘lock in’ the funeral costs outlined in the plan at today’s prices.
Security and peace of mind
As with any payment, it is important to know where your money is and how it’s being looked after. A funeral is a definite cost that we’ll all incur one day. So you don’t want to take any risks. You should find out how and where your money will be looked after.
With an Age UK Funeral Plan, your money is held safely in an independent Trust Fund until it’s needed. The Trust is legally separate from Age UK Enterprises Limited, Dignity and any Funeral Director. This means that if something were to happen to any of these your money is still protected. You can find out more or view the Annual Report here.
The Age UK Funeral Plan is guaranteed by Dignity, the funeral plan provider, meaning that the services in your plan will be delivered regardless of how much funeral costs may rise. Dignity is also regulated by the Funeral Planning Authority, whose job it is to protect consumers’ interests in the Funeral Planning sector across the UK.
The Age UK Funeral Plan has also been highly rated by independent reviewers.
^£100 discount is available on the Ivy, Holly and Rowan Plans, not the Basic Plan. Discount is included above and available from 1 September 2016 to 31 March 2017. Previous single payment prices £3,495 Ivy; £3,845 Holly; £4,245 Rowan.